Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Day 2 recap- Coopers Gap

Well that didn't go as planned.

Day 2 at the Transylvania Epic was a 43 mile stage with close to 5800 ft of climbing and a smattering of some of the classic PA single track.  If you've never ridden or been in the woods in Pennsylvania, 'Classic' means there are tons of rocks; and they are all at the most awkward orientation in the trail.  It's technical.  The word "flow" doesn't exist on these trails.  It's hard- and that's exactly what I was hoping for.

After a neutral roll out to get the field around a road gate, we ended up riding as a pack for the first 8-9 miles on gravel road.  We quickly jumped into a single track climb and the field instantly started to get spread out since there were very few opportunities to pass.  I fell into a group that wasn't exactly to my liking for single track speed, but decided to just settle in and not panic. After all, this was single track section number one of a long long day.

I was gradually able to pick my way through the riders as the trails opened up.  Somehow, unfortunately, I completely missed the east coast rocks section of single track that I was gunning for.  Well, I thought I did I it, but was wondering why it was all downhill.  Turns out I clocked in for one of the enduro sections.  Still fun, but quickly realized that I needed to slow down to not wreck myself.

I got to checkpoint one at 17.5 miles in, refueled and filled with water and rolled out with Matt Williams of mtbracenews.com.  At this point we both realized how long and tough of a day it would be a rolled into the next section of single track at a more comfortable endurance pace.  Of course, the second that I let up on the intensity and decided to 'take it easy' I heard the dreaded "hisssssssssssss".  Rear tire down.  I had a slash in the tread of the tire just large enough that the Stan's sealant wasn't holding.  I repaired with a tube and was on my way.  Or so I thought.

3 miles down the road I got into the second enduro downhill and, already riding gingerly and trying not to trash my rear wheel, my rear wheel kicked out.  "Hisssssssssssssssss".  Sweet.  Flat again.  Having already used my spare tube I thought how utterly inconvenient it was that I had two tubes and a tire sitting I my drop bag at the aid station a few miles back.  At this point I was left hoofing it- not a good time to be running.  Carbon soled mt bike shoes are terrible for running, and I was in the middle of an enduro downhill section with riders flying up on me.

I got to the bottom of the hill out of harms way, tried one last ditch Stan's repair with some sealant that some other riders left me to no avail.  I began the lonely walk on the road wondering what would happen next.  One rider offered me a tube " it's been in my seat pack for a ling time, I'm not sure how good it is" he said.  Really?  I tried and and sure enough there was a slash in it.  Nice dude, I thought, I probably saved your butt from getting stranded.  Check your equipment people.  A second rider came by and was carrying two NEW tubes and handed one off.  This got me up and running.

So now I was rolling again.  I lost over an hour doing repairs but was able to keep riding.  Everyone was talking about the 'notorious' Stillhouse Hollow climb at the end of the loop.  This terrain was the same as wilderness 101 from last year so I knew what to expect.  At this point this is where my power meter came in most beneficial.  I knew how long the hill was and it was a constant grade, so I was able to work at an intensity just hard enough that I wasn't slacking off but wasn't going anaerobic.  This late I. The day and this far down in the standings there was no sense in thrashing myself for no good reason.

So I finished the rest of the day without incident.  A little disappointing, but I was able to finish.  A new tire is on the bike for today's enduro stage.  This day will definitely be about recovering on the climbs ( they are not timed or part of the race) and surviving the downhills (I don't have an all mountain long travel bike with me at the race).  After the race , it's off to state college for laundry, a few groceries, and I'm sure after all of today's downhills, a brew at a pub will be in order.  It is summer camp after all ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment